I love Instagram – who doesn’t? Instagramming is even better now that they have rolled out the app “Layout”; an easier and better way to make collages directly associated with your Instagram library. The app allows you to create one-of-a-kind collages and layouts, as well as offers a variety of special photo editing features that Instagram is known for.
What Does It Do?
Layout users choose photos from their Instagram gallery to make a variety of collages. Users of the app can also use the built-in Photo Booth to snap instant shots for creating collages and layouts. Basically you select from a bunch of layout choices and then add/edit the pictures to make it your own. Since I came over to this app from Pic Collage (that is now called LiPix) I found the process to be completely smooth and intuitive. I also love that it’s built in to Instagram, so I don’t need to leave to open a completely different, unrelated app. With Layout you can tap to mirror, flip or replace images, hold and drag to swap them, pinch to zoom in or out, or pull the handles to resize.
The Layout app boasts the following features:
- Re-mix up to 9 of your photos at a time to create fun, personalized layouts and collages.
- Use the Faces tab to quickly find photos with people in them.
- Capture the moment in Photo Booth mode with quick, spontaneous shots.
- Save your layouts to your gallery and share them seamlessly to Instagram or other networks.
- Easily see the last 30 photos you've selected in the ‘Recents’ tab.
- Pair your layouts and collages with Instagram's filters and creative tools afterwards to make them stand out even more.
- Download and start creating a layout or collage immediately. No signup or account required—and no clutter breaking up your flow.
How Well Does it Work?
As I said above, I have been using LiPix (formerly Pic Collage) for quite some time and always found it to be pretty simple and fun. Collages are super functional when sharing memories of a specific person or when you want to share a variety of pictures from one event. Layout does everything I need it to do and I don’t have any problems with usability. It would be nice if Layout was completely integrated into the Instagram app so a standalone wasn’t necessary at all – but the 2 do work together so it’s not a huge deal. I also hope that Layout adds some of the more fun options like color borders and text; though I realize this isn’t really Instagram’s style.
I like this app. I’ll probably hang on to LiPix too so I can make some of the more artsy collages with color and text, but for my Instagram photos it’s nice to have something to open directly and that works so seamlessly with Instagram. If you are post to Instagram regularly then it’s likely you’ve already seen the prompt come through – it’s worth the add!
Share this post